Easy Money With Esmond - Top Tournament Plays at Each Position (DraftKings)
- Jrue Holliday PG/SG, Pelicans $6,500: While Portland has one of the most dynamic back court duos in the league in Damian Lillard & C.J. McCollum, we know they struggle on the defensive end. I love to attack Dame and at this price tag, I like Jrue better than the higher priced options. This game also has the 2nd highest over/under of the night at 221.5.
- D.J. Augustin PG/SG, Magic $5,100: This former Longhorn and NBA journeyman finds himself slated to start and receive 25+ minutes because Elfrid Payton is out with an injury. The Magic are at home and we know that most role players tend to play better at home. This game also features the highest over/under of the night 228.5. Not to mention they are playing the Nets, not more needs to be said lock and load Augustin if you want to save at the guard position.
- Iman Shumpert PG/SG, Cavaliers $3,700: With Thomas and Rose both sidelined because of injury, Shump becomes the main beneficiary of those minutes. Calderon has been under performing and even if Calderon starts, look for Shumpert to get the majority of minutes. J.R. Smith also missed shoot around this morning due to a sore back and is now listed as questionable for tonight's game. If Smith were to sit out tonight, Shumpert finds himself fighting for minutes against Calderon and Wade. In this potential blowout look for Coach Lue to rest his vets, so Shump could be in line for some major minutes.
- C.J. McCollum PG/SG, Trail Blazers $7,100: This game is projected for a lot of points and we know that Dame and C.J. get almost all the usage in Portland. I know C.J. is a 'One Trick Pony' that is primarily a scorer, but going up against E'Twaun Moore I can see McCollum finally having a break out game. He is priced too cheap in this potential up and down game.
- Tim Hardaway Jr. SG/SF, Knicks $5,000: Hardaway Jr. is the ultimate high risk, high reward player. He signed a massive contract in the off season and had his Knicks debut against Paul George so let's cut him some slack. He's a solid tournament play tonight because of his low price tag and recency bias. I love to play the ownership game and SG isn't a position I love in tonight's slate, so I don't mind spending down on a player that can put up 40+ DK points. Other than Porzingas, who else can score for the Knicks?
- Lou Williams PG/SG, Clippers $4,900: I've used Lou Will every time the Clippers have had a game this season and he's made me money. No one likes to roster bench players that are 'volume scorers' but with the injury to Milos Teodosic the Clippers are now lacking some play making at the guard position. The 20+ minutes Milos was getting will get split between Bev, Rivers and Lou. If you don't want to ride the Hardaway Jr. roller coaster, then lock and load Lou Will.
- Danilo Gallinari SF, Clippers $5,500: Not the biggest fan of the SF position in tonight's slate. LeBron is always a strong play, so I never would advise anyone to fade him. This game should have a slower pace, but you can attack Utah Guards and Wings. With his skill set and this cheap price tag I think Gallo is in a great bounce back spot tonight. Griffin & Jordan may struggle with the Jazz bigs so Gallo will need to step up his game. With over 30 minutes of playing time a game, I think Danilo is a strong play and should be relatively low owned.
- Allen Crabbe SG/SF, Nets $4,900: Lots of potential fantasy goodness in this Nets game. Crabbe seems to be the preferred guard to step into Lin's minutes. If he gets over 25+ again tonight and is hitting his 3's it could lead to some glory. His great price tag also will open up for some of the bigs because there are a bunch of good options at the PF and C positions.
- Anthony Davis/DeMarcus Cousins PF/C Pelicans $10,900/$10,500: I feel like I am cheating putting them down, but it must be said. These two are elite plays tonight in a fast paced, high scoring game with Portland. Play one, play both or risk the points and fade them both.
- Kristaps Porzingis PF/C, Knicks $8,500: With Melo gone the new-look Knicks are now led by their Latvian big man, Kristaps Porzingis. Porzingis has fully embraced this new role and has played in over 35 minutes and put up over 45 DK points in their first two games. He should be priced close to Davis/Cousins but I will keep playing him at this price tag until DK fixes the pricing. We can attack Boston bigs and there is no way Horford can come out to the perimeter to guard him. He is part of my core 4 and I will have heavy exposure tonight.
- Karl-Anthony Towns C, Timberwolves $8,600: Can I envision Towns outscoring Davis or Cousins? Absolutely! This game is the projected 3rd highest over/under of the night and Myles Turner is not playing. Sabonis/Young/Jefferson will attempt to hold Towns and I love Towns' chances. If Wiggins doesn't decide to take all the shots, Towns could be in for a monster night.
- Nikola Vucevic C, Magic $8,300: Aaron Gordon returning tonight doesn't scare me away from Vucevic because he has been quietly having a great season. Oh and did I mention that they are playing the Nets?? Vuc is averaging about 30 minutes a game and has put up over 45 DK points in all of their outings so far this year. Last time they played the Nets on October 20th (4 days ago), Vuc put up 63 DK points. There is value at the PF/C positions if you do not want to spend up for Davis/Cousins.
- Jusuf Nurkic C, Trail Blazers $6,800: I feel like I've mentioned Davis and Cousins so much that I fail to mention who they are going up against. Nurkic was a great acquisition last year and with a full off season I expect him to continue doing great things for the Blazers. His minutes have been trending up, while his DK price has been trending down and I am willing to buy some shares of Nurkic tonight. Davis and Cousins aren't known for their defense and with this projected over/under of 221.5 I want exposure to this high scoring affair.
Best of Luck!!
Follow Esmond on Twitter @epab2350